Peel peel peel away
That’s right! I’ve been working for What Pumpkin for about two and a half years now, actually (i just wasn’t allowed to talk about it at first bc contract stuff). (also, your English is totally fine, no worries!)
Long story short, I sent in my portfolio to Rachel for a small project, she and I got to talking about my art and some ideas I had, she mentioned that she wished it would be possible to make a homestuck tarot deck, something that I also was really excited about!
I was confident that this could become a reality. I laid out my credentials, told Rachel about my education and my work and management experience, and she stuck her neck out for me and helped put together ONE CHANCE for me to manage a project. The Homestuck Tarot Deck was My Big Shot. If I pulled it off, I’d potentially get more work, if I didn’t, then that was going to be the end of it. I busted my ass, coordinated 39 artists, including myself, and managed the Homestuck Tarot from start to finish. 78 glorious individually illustrated cards, a booklet, and a box. I did it! (We did it!!)
My next project was the Midnight Crew deck from the Slick Pak, 56 cards, significantly fewer artists, I actually drew 28 of the cards myself, haha. I started getting a lot of smaller projects as well, things like prepping and color correcting print files, and pitching and managing other projects (and some big projects I can’t talk about yet!).
So EVENTUALLY after a long courtship period, we MADE THIS RELATIONSHIP OFFICIAL! I got formally hired, got a wage and a contract and that was that! That’s how I got my job!
The LONG STORY of how i got that ONE CHANCE is actually pretty funny though….
2014 Convention Exclusive T-shirts!
So we’re working with some wonderful artists to create some sweet t-shirts that What Pumpkin will be selling exclusively at our conventions this year. We’re printing them only once and in very limited numbers, so we wouldn’t be surprised if they sell out fast. We will be selling them at our booths at their respective conventions.
We’re working on the next wave of convention tees now and will give you a peek when they’re done.
- Anime Boston 2014 T-shirt by Chelsea Saunders
- Boston, MA / March 21-23 / Booths 233, 234
- MegaCon 2014 T-shirt by J. N. Wiedle
- Orlando, FL / March 21-23 / Booths 1083, 1182
- Emerald City Comicon 2014 T-shirt by Shelby Cragg
- Seattle, WA / March 28-30 / Booth 1420
I’m so jazzed to be managing on this project, and the artists we’ve been working with are all aces. Chelsea, Jones, and Shelby were joys to work with and their results are fantastic (and the upcoming mystery artists and designs for the April conventions and beyond are putting out some stellar work I can’t wait for you guys to see)
2014 is gonna be THE year to hit up WP booths at conventions. We’re going to have all kinds of incredible stuff and the con-exclusive shirts are the icing on the con-going experience that I think people will really enjoy.
i’m really drawing a blank on new merch for Anime Expo this year (and maybe Fanime??)
I’ll probably be sticking to buttons, miniprints, and prints. I have been contemplating sticker sheets and individual stickers or charms, but I’m undecided. Do any of you have any suggestions? (for fandoms or characters or themes)?
4 - lineart or coloring:
- Lineart lineart lineart! I still have a massive problem with coloring, my own fault for not practicing of course. But I still haven’t overcome my focus problems and so sometimes polishing/coloring artwork can be a huge painful endeavor haha.
5 - who/what inspires you
- I have a ton of inspirations but hmmm. a short list of things that inspire me would be… Goopy gross things, sleazy shiny things, short sports shorts, buff hairy chests, smooth soft boobs and booties, glitches and computer viruses, dog teeth, b2 bombers, street fashion (10DEEP), vomit, werewolves, and kinks/sexuality.
- it’s always hard to think of favorite artists by name, but some are: Memo, Tomer Hanuka, Masaaki Yuasa, Araki, Natsume Ono/Basso, Leyendecker, Klimt, Schiele, Ernesto Cabral, Mac Harshberger, Edmond Kiraz, Carl Otto Czeschka, Charles Dana Gibson.
- films/tv: Leon: The Professional, Secretary, Bond Films, Third Man, Snatch, Little Shop of Horrors, Sukiyaki Western Django, Addams Family, Death Becomes Her. and Amadeus, Tatami Galaxy, Kuuchuu Buranko, Cromartie, Zetsubou Sensei. Arrested Development, Venture Brothers, Archer, Reno 911, and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
- music: Brand New, Alias Conrad Coldwood, Dengue Fever, Major Lazer/Diplo/etc, MF Doom/Danger Doom/Madvillain/etc, Docteur Legume, Johnny Cash, Mother Mother, Pixies, Pillows, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- BUT YEAH UHH here’s my inspiration blog that’s a much better summary lmao
7 - OCs?